Vice President Mike Pence and second lady Karen Pence were again tested for COVID-19 on Sunday and received negative results, the White House said in a statement on Sunday.
The results are the third negative results the couple has received in the past week since President Donald Trump announced early Friday both he and first lady Melania Trump tested positive for coronavirus.
Since the president announced he and the first lady contracted COVID-19, over a dozen White House officials and top Republicans have also tested positive for the virus.
Sunday’s results still do not guarantee the vice president is not infected.
A negative test means the person was not infected at the time of testing. The virus’ incubation period can be up to 14 days, so a negative test earlier in that time frame is not definitive.
Rapid coronavirus tests like those used by the White House can also occasionally give false results.
Pence is expected to resume in-person campaigning this week with a stop in Arizona on Thursday, a day after he is set to debate Democratic vice presidential nominee Kamala Harris in Salt Lake City.
Trump campaign senior adviser Jason Miller said Sunday on NBC News “Meet the Press” that Pence is “going to have a very full aggressive schedule as will the first family” and that he had “no concerns at all” about it.
“We’re in a campaign. We have a month to go. We see Joe Biden and Kamala Harris out there campaigning,” Miller said.
Experts wonder why Pence – who is next in line to assume Trump’s powers if he is incapacitated – is not under isolation. They say he could be risking exposure to the virus amid a tenuous moment.
“We have the president and first lady ill and the country is in a vulnerable situation,” former Defense Secretary Leon Panetta told USA TODAY on Friday. “We have to be very prepared to deal with the possibility that an adversary will seek to take advantage.”